Frequently Asked Questions
Brightside Accidental Damage Cover (all levels) are no longer available for purchase from 24 May 2020.
You won’t know, unless you ask
Still looking for more information? You’ve come to the right place.
Start typing your question in the above search tool, or browse our most commonly asked questions below.
If you can’t find the answer to your question, get in contact with us and we’ll happily answer any questions you may have.
What am I covered for?
Your cover all depends on the policy you purchased.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Basic your device will be covered for accidental damage including but not limited to drops, spills, and cracks anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Plus you receive all the cover and benefits you receive under Basic, plus your device will be covered if it is stolen from your possession or a locked storage compartment with forcible entry and protected if an identifiable event arises, resulting in the accidental loss of your device.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Platinum, you get all the cover and benefits of Basic and Plus with the added benefits of data service assistance in the event your device is subject to a cyber-attack and to help retrieve any lost data. Platinum Cover is only available if your device is a mobile phone, laptop, or tablet.
All levels of cover offer access to My Cover that allows you to make a claim 24/7 and repair time guarantee so in the event of a claim you have minimal downtime while your device is getting fixed.
To find out more about what your covered for click here to view the PDS/FSG for full details.
Will devices bought overseas be covered?
It is a condition on our policy that the device must be purchased new from a retailer who has a registered Australian Business Number (ABN).
Is my child’s laptop for school covered?
Yes, you can insure devices your children may need for school including laptops, tablets and phones. Here’s some important things to know:
- If your child is under 18, you will need to complete the policy with all your relevant contact details and be listed as the policy holder. Don’t worry your child will automatically be covered as an authorised user.
- In the event of a claim, you will need to complete the claim form and act on their behalf.
- If you have purchased our Plus or Platinum cover, to be eligible for a theft claim, the device must be stored in a storage locker with evidence of forcible entry or in your child’s possession at the time of the theft.
What isn’t covered?
Some of the things Brightside Accidental Damage Cover won’t cover you for include:
- Any incident that occurred before the start date or in the no cover period (if applicable).
- Damage due to any reckless or intentional damage or damage due to your failure to take reasonable care of your device.
- Any incident arising from you not doing everything you can to reduce your loss as much as possible or failing to take all reasonable precautions to safeguard your device.
- Any loss where your device has been left behind in an unknown location or You have misplaced or forgotten its whereabouts.
- Theft or Accidental Loss where the device is left unsupervised in a public place (including your place of employment or school) or unsecured or out of your direct sight in any public location
- Theft where the device is not in your possession or control or in a locked storage locker or concealed storage compartment or locked place of residence, and when there is no evidence of forced entry.
- Accidental loss or theft by:
- you or someone who lives in your home; or
- someone who enters your home with your consent or the consent of someone living there.
The above is a limited summary only. It does not include all of the policy conditions, limits and exclusions. You will need to refer to the relevant sections of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to fully understand the extent of cover provided.
Who is the insurer of Brightside Accidental Damage Cover?
The underwriter of Brightside Accidental Damage Cover is International Insurance Company of Hannover SE.
Brightside Cover has authority to issue, vary or cancel this insurance product on their behalf.
Can a phone that’s on a plan be covered?
Yes. As long as you purchased cover within 90 days of purchasing your new phone and provided the total purchase price of the phone at the time you purchased cover.
Can I renew cover after 1 year?
Unfortunately, no. We do not offer renewals on any level of cover or term.
Is the premium for the 2 year cover, available under Accidental Damage Cover Plus or Accidental Damage Platinum Cover, charged annually?
No. It is charged as an upfront lump sum which means, if you decide to purchase Brightside Accidental Damage Cover you will need to pay the full amount at the time of policy purchase.
Do you need to be a Permanent Australian Resident to purchase cover?
Yes, it is a requirement of this Policy to be an Australian resident.
If you’re here for a short time visiting or holidaying, we hope you enjoy your stay, however, this means we are unable to offer cover for your device.