Frequently Asked Questions
You won’t know, unless you ask
Still looking for more information? You’ve come to the right place.
Start typing your question in the above search tool, or browse our most commonly asked questions below.
If you can’t find the answer to your question, get in contact with us and we’ll happily answer any questions you may have.
What type of devices can I insure?
We currently insure the following portable devices –
- Mobile Phones
- Tablets and eReaders
- Laptops and Notebooks
- Portable Audio
- Wearable Technology such as Smartwatches and Fitness Trackers
We are always looking at new technology and adding new categories, so if your portable device is not listed above, contact us and we will see what we can do for you.
How do I know which level of cover to buy?
Unfortunately, we cannot make that decision for you.
We know everyone’s needs are different, that’s why we’ve designed 3 different levels of cover, so you can decide what level best suits you, your device, and your lifestyle.
Click here and you can compare the 3 different types of Accidental Damage Cover available.
How long do I have to be able to get cover on my new device?
The great news is you have up to 90 days from the day you purchased your new device to buy our Brightside Accidental Damage Cover.
However, if you decide to buy cover within 48 hours of buying your new device, you can rest easy knowing we have you covered from the moment you purchase your policy.
But if you decide to buy cover more than 48 hours after you’ve purchased your new device and less than 90 days, then you will be subject to a 30 day no cover period. Meaning you are not covered cannot make a claim in the first 30 days from the day you purchase your policy.
What am I covered for?
Your cover all depends on the policy you purchased.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Basic your device will be covered for accidental damage including but not limited to drops, spills, and cracks anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Plus you receive all the cover and benefits you receive under Basic, plus your device will be covered if it is stolen from your possession or a locked storage compartment with forcible entry and protected if an identifiable event arises, resulting in the accidental loss of your device.
If you purchased Accidental Damage Cover Platinum, you get all the cover and benefits of Basic and Plus with the added benefits of data service assistance in the event your device is subject to a cyber-attack and to help retrieve any lost data. Platinum Cover is only available if your device is a mobile phone, laptop, or tablet.
All levels of cover offer the opportunity to purchase cover up to 90 days from your new device purchase, access to My Cover that allows you to make a claim 24/7 and repair time guarantee so in the event of a claim you have minimal downtime while your device is getting fixed.
To find out more about what your covered for click here to view the PDS/FSG for full details.
Can I purchase cover on a device I bought overseas?
It is a condition on our policy that the device must be purchased new from a retailer who has a registered Australian Business Number (ABN).
Can I insure my child’s laptop for school?
Yes, you can insure devices your children may need for school including laptops, tablets and phones. Here’s some important things to know:
- If your child is under 18, you will need to complete the policy with all your relevant contact details and be listed as the policy holder. Don’t worry your child will automatically be covered as an authorised user.
- In the event of a claim, you will need to complete the claim form and act on their behalf.
- If you have purchased our Plus or Platinum cover, to be eligible for a theft claim, the device must be stored in a storage locker with evidence of forcible entry or in your child’s possession at the time of the theft.
What isn’t covered?
Some of the things Brightside Accidental Damage Cover won’t cover you for include:
- Any incident that occurred before the start date or in the no cover period (if applicable).
- Damage due to any reckless or intentional damage or damage due to your failure to take reasonable care of your device.
- Any incident arising from you not doing everything you can to reduce your loss as much as possible or failing to take all reasonable precautions to safeguard your device.
- Any loss where your device has been left behind in an unknown location or You have misplaced or forgotten its whereabouts.
- Theft or Accidental Loss where the device is left unsupervised in a public place (including your place of employment or school) or unsecured or out of your direct sight in any public location
- Theft where the device is not in your possession or control or in a locked storage locker or concealed storage compartment or locked place of residence, and when there is no evidence of forced entry.
- Accidental loss or theft by:
- you or someone who lives in your home; or
- someone who enters your home with your consent or the consent of someone living there.
The above is a limited summary only. It does not include all of the policy conditions, limits and exclusions. You will need to refer to the relevant sections of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to fully understand the extent of cover provided.
Who is the insurer of Brightside Accidental Damage Cover?
The underwriter of Brightside Accidental Damage Cover is International Insurance Company of Hannover SE.
Brightside Cover has authority to issue, vary or cancel this insurance product on their behalf.